Supervisor: Highpoint Center’s Artistic Director
Full time, permanent, salaried position
Application deadline: Friday, April 20, 2018 (midnight)
Start date goal: mid-May
The Highpoint Gallery Director will successfully blend attention to detail, flexibility, and people skills while working in a small organization with a wide range of activities. They will be a motivated sales person, have deep knowledge of art and the world of prints, and have strong social skills. Work hours are 40 hrs/wk; plus, occasional travel and weekend and evening hours for special events.
Gallery Director Job Duties include:
- Coordinate all aspects of Highpoint Editions sales, including pricing, marketing, and client communications/relations.
- Serve as main liaison to Highpoint Editions print buyers, coordinating invoicing and print packaging/shipping with HP staff.
- Oversee Highpoint Editions inventory and documentation systems.
- Work with Operations and Communications Manager to track and report on Highpoint Editions sales.
- Develop and execute an annual marketing plan for Highpoint Editions.
- Grow net print sales for Highpoint Editions across individual and institutional clients, placing Highpoint Editions work in important collections and deepening relationships with clients.
- Develop value added benefits for upper level collectors and patrons group.
- Develop Highpoint Editions exhibition opportunities and traveling exhibitions.
- Oversee rotating display of HPE artwork in Highpoint’s offices, professional shop, and print study room.
- Coordinate photo documentation of visiting artists and Highpoint Editions artwork and exhibitions
- Maintain Highpoint Editions content on website (using Squarespace platform).
- Work with Artistic Director to coordinate participation in 2-3 art fairs annually (occasional travel is required).
- Work with Artistic Director to develop and maintain relationships with past, present, and future Highpoint Editions artists.
- Develop and coordinate various Highpoint gallery exhibitions (international shows, juried shows, etc.).
- Coordinate annual exhibitions plan/ calendar.
- Lead group tours of gallery and facility as needed.
- Schedule staff for Saturday gallery monitoring shifts.
- Bachelor of Arts (or higher) degree
- Demonstrated ability to sell and place contemporary art
- Understanding of various printmaking techniques (intaglio, lithography, screenprinting, and relief)
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for contemporary art
- Mature outlook, positive attitude, and self-confidence working with others
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task a wide variety of projects
- Able to work with many deadlines and different personalities
- Flexible, creative, and efficient problem-solver
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience developing and executing marketing and/or communications plans
- Experience with social media (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter)
- Knowledge of national and international collectors and museums
- Familiarity with the Twin Cities artistic community: its key institutions and issues
- Familiarity with Google Apps, Salesforce.com, and Squarespace a plus
- Starting salary $38,000
- Employer contributes 50% of health costs towards Health Partners Highpoint plan
- Vacation: two weeks, plus 10 paid holidays
- Sick and safe paid leave as required by the City of Minneapolis
- Discounts on classes and events
- Chance to be part of a close-knit team of art and community advocates, and contribute your own ideas and skills in a meaningful way
How to apply
Applicants should submit:
- A resume (2 pages max). In addition to professional/ work information the resume should also list 3 professional references with their contact information
- A 1-page cover letter detailing professional experience and highlighting any unique qualifications/ skills you can bring to Highpoint.
- A writing sample (1-2 pages)
- All materials should include name and current contact information (address, e-mail, phone)
Applications accepted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail by
April 20, 2018 (this is not a postmark deadline).
Applications may also be mailed to:
Job Search: Gallery Director
Highpoint Center for Printmaking
912 Lake Street West, Minneapolis, MN 55408
No calls or drop ins, please.
Highpoint is a federally registered, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization. Highpoint is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, nationality, orientation, religion, ability, or age.